My dye experiment turned black, started to bubble, and tried to kill me.
Over the past three weeks I had noticed a stench developing in the workshop. Something putrid. A rotten smell of death and dying…no pun intended. Not having the best of nasal capabilities I resolved to glide my nostrils within an inch of every surface around. After a few minutes it became quite apparent – my nose locked in on the bottle of “2 Buck Chuck” a Charles Shaw variety of Cabernet I had opened a week ago and stuffed with steel wool. I popped the cork back off and took a whiff.
I died… for a second.
Then neural function resumed and instinct told me to re-cork immediately. The bubbling had gone wild, something…yes something was happening in that plonk.
I cut a hole in the cork so the bottle wouldn’t explode under the building flatulent pressure, then as any man would do… I put it back on the shelf to marinate for another week or so.
And I’m glad I did…here are the results:
Eventually, after another week, the wine mixture decided to spare my sinuses and returned to a light vinegary smell. When applied to the leather, then topped with a coat of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, it produced an aged dark brown with reddish undertones. Strikingly perfect and exactly what I was hoping for.
The next dye to test out was the blackberry and alcohol mixture. Unfortunately there were no noticeable results. Honestly – I was hoping this would be the case, because the alcohol mixture felt so unnatural that it just felt wrong rubbing it into the leather.
Final Results: Blackberries 0 Wine 1. And the wine bottle is back on the shelf.